Under Japan law, any foreigner planned to stay in Japan for more than 90 days need to apply for alien registration. After registration, you will get a alien registration card, which you need to carry the alien registration card at all times.
To apply the alien registration card you need to prepare following documents:
1. two identical Japan alien registration photo (see below for specifications)
2. application form (available at municipal office)
Japan Alien Registration Photo Specifications:
1. the size of Japan alien registration photo is 45 mm high x 35 mm wide.
2. must be taken within the last 6 months.
3. the height of head must be between 25 mm and 31 mm.
4. showing a full frontal view of the shoulders and head.
5. should be taken with a blank background.
6. photo with hat or sunglasses is unaccepted.
To meet the specifications of Japan alien registration photo , you could use this passport photo software to make your own Japan Alien Registration Photo